View Single Post
Old 07-13-2012, 04:48 PM   #14
mikefocke

There is no such thing as absolute safety. In any engine or transmission or any other part. They all fail sometime..its just luck when. As to when they fail...anywhere from 6k to 250k in postings I've seen.

I don't know where you got the impression that the Guardian would only warn when the engine was toast. I know the testing of the Guardian included the insertion of a IMS bearing known to be going bad in a perfectly good engine, the installation of the Guardian, the driving of the car until the Guardian signaled a problem and then the examination of the bearing condition. The engine was saved. You have to stop when the buzzer goes off, yes. But the intent of the Guardian is to catch the problem early enough that you can save the engine.

Your replacement engine (if from Porsche) certainly also has a design/materials-flawed bearing. Which one you wouldn't know until you had pulled the transmission off and inspected the IMS area. So if you are feeling insecure, you could go get one of the LN bearing kits installed and have greater assurance. You could do it either as a preventative measure or when the Guardian told you you needed to inspect the bearing condition.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote