Thread: Sound system...
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2005, 11:40 PM   #8
TriGem2k

Send a message via AIM to TriGem2k
Quote:
Originally Posted by threpwood
TriGem2K: Could you describe in a more detail about your sound system? I'm thinking to upgrade but really in the dark as what to get. Watts, Inches, model number (speakers, subs, amps), location/positioning etc would be very helpful.

Anbody has a Mcintosh setup in the boxster? or has any comments about this brand?

Thank you in advance!

Ummm...Where to start....

My first upgrade was the Pioneer Avic-N2 Navigation system/Headunit. I removed the entire old system. My car came stock with the Upgraded Hi Fi Package which includes a DSP unit. Pulled out the factory amp and cd changer but left the wiring for everything in placing making sure I could put everything back to stock if I wanted to. Also left the DSP in its place above the batwing.

My dash runs Focal K2 components 4" woofer with a 1" tweeter. The doors run Focal 5WS 5" subwoofers (they are true subs not mids). I replaced the 4 factory rear speakers with JL Audio TR350 3.5" speakers (Cheap speakers but I found it very hard to find 3.5" speakers). On the floor in the passenger foot well is an 8" JL Audio 8W7 (You can find a harder hitting sub than that) which I made removable as it is discomforting to passengers over 5'8". The dash, doors, and rears are run off a Six Channel (just like the factory amp) JL Audio Amp. The 8" sub has a mono JL Audio amp just for itself.

The system sounds awesome with or without the 8" in the foot well. I and many others think the 8" is over kill, but i just had to do it as I cant stand kids my age pulling up to me in Hondas bumping there system trying to show off.

Attached are pictures of the amp set up if your interested in looking at it.

As far as pricing is concerned:

1. Pioneer Avic N2 Navigation - MSRP $2,000.00
2. Focal K2 Component 4" with 1" tweeter - MSRP $619.00
3. Focal 5WS 5" Subwoofers - MSRP $249.00 EACH!
4. JL Audio TR350 3.5" Speaker - MSRP $70.00 (2sets needed)
5. JL Audio e6450 - MSRP $450.00
6. JL Audio 250/1 - MSRP 450.00

Installing the amps took about an entire weekend to complete as i am a perfectionist when it comes to this stuff.

Installing the speaker was extremely time consuming as nothing just drops in, Porsche is a pain in the ass, nothing is a standard size, if u want everything to fit in factory grills and such u have to work with it a little bit.

Hope this info helps... Oh and by the way IT WAS ALL WORTH IT.

~James~
TriGem2k is offline   Reply With Quote