View Single Post
Old 11-05-2005, 08:52 PM   #2
MNBoxster

Hi,

I have been to several schools for both Performance Driving and Racing Schools. Mrs. MNBoxster loves to give me these as presents over the years - gotta Marry a Girl like that...!

While never with my Boxster, I have been to Skip Barber's School at Watkins Glen in NY, took the Formula Ford Course from Russell Racing at Sears Point in Sonoma, CA, the BMW Performance Driving School at the BMW Performance Center in Greer, SC and the Indy Racing Experience (the Driving Experience, not just the RideAlong - Yes, I've driven a Super at the BrickYard - You can too! ) at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway in Speedway, IN. All but the BMW course were Open Wheel Racing Schools. I also hold an SCCA Regional Competition License, formerly a National one.

Besides the fundamentals of Steering, Braking, working the Corners and of course Safety, I would have to say that the single biggest boost to my skills was an increasing smoothness. You really learn to drive way ahead of the Car and to anticipate rather than react. At the BMW course, you learned to extract the most from the Car, it was really the best for Street Driving.

So far as I am concerned, each of them was well worth it. And the very fact that a Pro is critiqueing you, you learn more about your driving than you ever could on your own. I found the Post-Track Audits very enlightening.

All this said, these schools can be relatively expensive, and unless you're competing regularly (I race a Formula Vee in SCCA Club events), the skills you learn deteriorate somewhat quickly.

If you just want to learn to drive your Car better, get involved with your local AutoCross. These allow you to hone your skills on a regular basis for not much more than Gas and a Helmet - you compete as much or as little as you choose, and it's just across town. I am involved with several such groups here in Mpls. and have gotten to know the folks quite well over the years. Consequently, we brutally critique each other's Runs and this improves you tremendously. Also, you get many Runs in a Day and the DieHards usually stay behind for Buck Runs until Sunset.

You're on the course alone and so can much better concentrate on your performance without having to watch for Traffic or Strategize your Race. The Schools are Great experiences, and I highly recommend at least one to a True Enthusiast. But Auto-X Can be just as informative, while cheaper and more available. Check with your Local MG, Jag, Healey, Corvette, BMW, Audi and Lotus, SCCA and of course, Porsche Clubs, they're bound to have a number of events and these are usually open to all Enthusiasts. For a $10-$35 Fee and minimal Tech requirements, you can drive your Boxster like you never could on Public Streets plus Learn and have Fun at the same time. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 11-05-2005 at 09:42 PM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote