View Single Post
Old 07-04-2012, 06:59 AM   #10
shadrach74

I too offer congrats on the mileage.

I think this was a communication issue and nothing more. There is no good reason to change the plugs at 30K intervals just for the sake of changing them. Did your Porsche come with scheduled mx? Was Porsche changing as part of service plan at 30K, or was it on your dime? It would seem to me unlikely that Porsch would pay for a needless service, but I could be wrong. It is an absolute waste to change a plug before its time. Moreover, spark plugs are easy to inspect and electrode erosion is easy to assess. Some mechanics are conservationist...not from an eco standpoint, but from a physical/common sense standpoint. They don't like to fix or replace things that are functioning perfectly well... Fortunately or unfortunately many owners feel good about spending $$$ on their cars/motorcycles/airplanes etc. The less mechanically inclined they are, the more they seem afflicted with this compulsion.

So the scenario is this:

Old salt who's been working on Porsches for nearly 30 yrs.

vs.

Long time owner of a car that has gotten 320K out of his car.

Both think that they have done something extraordinary (and they both have, one with his mechanical experience and one with his ownership experience).

However, technically and physically speaking, your new ex-mechanic is absolutely correct. You were asking him to perform and charge you for a needless service. However, I don't think he went the right way about trying to educate you, and I sense that the fact that you've gotten 320K out of the car might make you a bit resistant to an education.

Perhaps you should seek out a Porsche dealer in your region, they would be happy to agree with you and charge you accordingly.

In terms of "life limited services", have you ever questioned why recommended oil service intervals doubled and even tripled in some cases when mfg started including scheduled maintenance???

BTW, I have 210K on my 98 Lexus GS400 it's on it's second set of plugs and it's third timing belt. Oil gets changed every 12K whether it needs it or not! Still runs like a champ on its original O2sensors and Cats.
shadrach74 is offline   Reply With Quote