Old 07-03-2012, 06:55 PM   #20
Topless
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikenOH View Post
Topless
Thanks for the clarification; a question or two:

With Harry's, you use an external 1 hz GPS receiver and the software interpolation capability gives it the accuracy of a 5hz receiver? Which receiver was your brother running?

I guess my views on Harry's was colored by the guys I knew that used it running their iPhones for GPS data--good to know!

Just out of curiosity, what kind of analysis for harry's offer relative to RC?
Also, have they fixed that every other lap issue?
My brother uses the Tom Tom mount with his iphone/Harry's which supplies a solid mount, power and a hi-res 1hz GPS receiver. Our cars run nearly identical lap times and we often compare between data loggers and our official posted transponder times. Harry's lap time/sector time accuracy is every bit as good as my 5hz w/RaceChrono. Positional accuracy mid corner is still a little better with the 5hz RC. There are now a few 5hz & 10hz receivers available for Harry's but I think they are $170ish.

The lap analysis feature with RC is a very intuitive tool where you can look at two laps running slightly different setups or strategies and compare corner entry/exit speeds with a graph and track overlay. I use this feature a lot and last I looked Harry's was not as good. HLT did just come out with a major software revision so it might be better now. Both apps are excellent learning tools once you get beyond the basics of performance driving and start chasing 1/10ths and TT championships.

More on GPS laptimer accuracy using Harry's. This is pretty consistent with what we see doing data comparisons:
http://gps-laptimer.de/GPS_and_Accuracy.html

Last edited by Topless; 07-03-2012 at 09:44 PM.
Topless is offline   Reply With Quote