View Single Post
Old 11-04-2005, 07:46 AM   #15
pez

Send a message via AIM to pez Send a message via Yahoo to pez
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Boxsterian
After having great time with my 97 Boxster for about 1 month, the hard starting problem comes back I bought my baby to Porsche dealer yesterday and they call me today telling me the Mass Air Flow Sensor is bad. It will cost me $500 for part and $300 for labor. Do you think I can replace the sensor myself? Should I try replace the filter first and see if it fix the problem? Please help!
Yup, I'm in the same boat as you , you can try getting a T-20 anti-tamper torx and some electrical contact cleaner and clean the business end of the MAF some people have had luck with that. I have not had a chance to get to mine yet.
You are lucky the MAF you have in your box is the older design and you should be able to replace it yourself fairly easily. (the newer version MAF requires it to be programmed into the ECU $$)

For replacing the filter first? I’m assuming you mean the Air filter, do you have an oiled filter like a K&N on there? Has the Check engine light come on? (if so you should try to get a OBD-2 reader and get the codes). If the check engine light is on the MAF is already hosed and changing the filter will not change the symptom.

Do a search on http://www.renntech.org/ I was going to post a link to a thread there but the site is currently being updated and is down for a bit.

Pez
pez is offline   Reply With Quote