View Single Post
Old 07-01-2012, 12:42 PM   #10
papasmurf

That is such a true statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landrovered View Post
That is the beauty of the Pelican IMS Bearing. It is actually priced as a replacement part should be... reasonably.
Since LN was recommending replacement/inspection at ~40k intervals, why not just go with the simpler, cheaper bearing assuming it is proven to last through those intervals? I know there are plenty of people that will say the pelican bearing is unproven over many miles (we are talking 40k here since that is what LN is recommending) but I think the LN bearing is unproven at that interval as well. How many cars that have had the LN bearing installed have over 40k miles on the new bearing? 2%...5%....it's only been on the market for a few years so I just do not expect there to be that many cars running around with 40k plus miles with the new bearing. Suppose it turns out that the LN bearings start failing at 40-45-or 50k miles, (not saying they are) then why would you go with the LN over the pelican bearing if the lifespan or replacement interval works out to be the same? It may turn out that the pelican bearings are only good for 25-30k miles, but they just hit the market and their are no stats to back that up yet just like there are no stats to prove the LN will fail at 40k or last till 200k. You are buying into the marketing of each bearing as much as anything it seems.
papasmurf is offline   Reply With Quote