View Single Post
Old 06-30-2012, 09:32 AM   #7
JFP in PA

That depends upon what is causing the leak, but there is not sealant required for the latest design to work. We have always installed the seal dry, and as mentioned earlier, have not had issues.

If it were up to me, I would pull the car apart, check the existing seal for the correct installation depth around the entire circumference first; if it is out of plumb, pull it and put in a new one (dry) making sure it is installed correctly. If the existing unit is in correctly, I would pull a copy of the TSB on the subject and start checking the case for trueness. If the case or crank carrier is out of spec, the seal is going to leak; there is nothing you can do about it.

When these cars were still covered by a factory warranty, Porsche was checking each leaker and replacing the engines on cars that failed the trueness tests; they never released a field fix for the problems involved.