View Single Post
Old 06-25-2012, 06:14 AM   #13
Squiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless View Post
There is an old saying with Porsche... If you have to ask, you can't afford it.

thstone and I have been on a very similar path. Instead of dropping a wad on the car, we invested in the driver. Our expenses have been pretty similar although I spent very little on the car for the first 5 years of ownership. Only last year did I crack the piggy bank a bit with fully developed suspension, trans, clutch, IMS retrofit, waterpump, Tstat. Pretty normal stuff with 100k miles and 60+ track days I guess.

The Boxster is still the most fun car I have ever owned and I will continue to push it's performance envelope at the track as often as possible.
Actually, the cost hasn't scared me (yet). In ~20 track events in the Legacy, I've accumulated:

- Brembo Brake Kit (used) - $2500
- Larger intercooler - $1000
- Front LSD - $800
- Clutch / LWFW - $1600
- Rims (to clear Brembos) - $2000
- Springs / sways / camber plates - $1000
- E85 fuel conversion - $3000+ (most of the cost is in tuning and tweaking)
- Exhaust / Intakes / etc - $2000
- And plenty of brake pads / oil changes / tires

I also blew up the original motor (not on the track), and thus have $7k invested in a built motor.

The Legacy is very capable - other than fully prepped race cars (or really skilled drivers) I can usually out-drive everyone at the track (just open lapping days for now). The problem I'm running into is that since this is also my DD, I can't push the car as hard as I'd like (had to be towed home last time due to split intercooler piping, as an example).

I also have the option of turning the Legacy into the track car and picking up a different DD... but a 4-door family car can only be pushed so far at the track. Plus, coming up with a nice DD that fits the family needs (car seats - ugh!) AND my requirements (manual, passing power, cost, etc) is a tall order to fill.

So far, the only additional expenditure I wasn't expecting for the Boxster would be the rollbar extensions - at 6'1", I'm guessing that'll be required for me.

Since I only plan to do up to 10 track events a year (at least for now), the rest of those costs get spread out over a few years. The only other item that I've planned for in the first year was a clutch (I'm guessing a Boxster with 80k miles won't have much life left in the clutch).

Thanks for all the advice everyone!
Squiden is offline   Reply With Quote