View Single Post
Old 11-02-2005, 05:01 PM   #12
eslai

Quote:
Originally Posted by whttkrasst
So, short of somehow mimicing the CD changer, or something, how will the head unit know the data is for the audio system?
You're 100% correct. It's a fiber bus and so it's not just a matter of mimicing CD changer commands back and forth across a dedicated wire.

However, I'm surprised it's taking them this long. These companies should've hired someone if they didn't have someone with the expertise. Whoever gets out the door with this sort of product first is going to reap massive benefits.

It's not just in the realm of iPod connectivity. Once someone figures out how to mimic the CD Changer, they're not far from creating a device that can translate messages for other audio equipment. I would love nothing more than to interface a nice head unit with a DVD/Nav display, but I'm not about to go tearing into my car to run wires all over it.

I'd love to be able to keep the stock amp, speakers, etc. and just plug in a new head unit. That would actually make the cost of fabricating a new, matching instrument surround somewhat worthwhile. The stock 987 stereo is a glorious pile of garbage, and I'm not even talking about audio quality when I say that.
eslai is offline   Reply With Quote