View Single Post
Old 06-20-2012, 01:15 AM   #19
Spinnaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
So, I bought a nice orbital polisher for nothing?!
Sheesh...no wonder my swirls didn't go away.

I doubt I'll be doing the straight line thing. I'd like to see the swirls gone, but that sounds like some seriously painful and tedious work. My arm hurts just thinking about it.

You should design and patent a "belt polisher", like a belt sander...maybe something like that already exists?
If not, I may have to do some modding.
What gives, aren't you OCD enough to put up with a little pain?
Seriously though, it's not that bad if you pace yourself. Just do a small section at a time over the course of a couple of weeks. Eventually it gets done and you will be amazed how good the car looks without swirls looking back at you. I use a fairly aggressive buffing compound to start out on a car with bad swirls. Saves the arm. Then I progress to a fine polishing compound to bring out the shine. Don't try to do too much all at once, just do one panel like a fender or a door each time you feel like working on it. If you try to do too much all at once, thats when the pain factor takes over. If you are careful about how you wash the car (straight line only), you will only have to do the hard part once. I did my Box 4½ years ago when I got it and haven't had to do it again since then. A lot of people still think the car is new. (They wouldn't know a 987 if they saw one.) It is totally an illusion. From a short distance it looks great, but up close it has a ga-jillion rock chips and more than its share of road rash from 110K miles. I think one of the previous owners liked to follow gravel trucks. Had to replace the windshield because of all the rock hits. If I could afford it, the car would be a good candidate for a front end repaint, but it is shiny enough to fool most of the people that see it.
3X Water Pump, Clear side markers, Crios Mod, Front engine mount, Flywheel, clutch, RMS, AOS, MAF, serpentine belt, power brake vacuum line, battery, 2X CV boots, Fuel filter, Oil filler tube, 3X ignition switch, 90K service, gas cap

Last edited by Spinnaker; 06-21-2012 at 01:28 AM.
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote