View Single Post
Old 06-19-2012, 05:06 AM   #47
pothole

Quote:
Originally Posted by truegearhead View Post
Is anyone familiar with the BMW e46 rear floor failure class action suit? By the way if you think an IMS failure is bad wait until you read this! This situation seems very similiar to Porsches with the exception that very few cars fail

E46 News: BMW Sub-frame Defect Class Action Lawsuit - Settlement Approved - Updated information - E46Fanatics
I'm familiar with the subframe issue and it's not even close to being as bad as the IMS issue. I'm not talking about frequency, I'm talking about consequences for owners.

IMSB failure can generate bills of $10k, $20k etc. I tore the subframe on my BMW and had it repaired for about $700. Sure, for some people the bill was bigger. But nothing like the cost of installing a crate engine from Porsche. Not. Even. Close.

I'm surprised at the attitude of some in this thread. In my view, addressing the IMSB problem earlier would not have been financially odious for Porsche. They have now solved most of the problems, it seems.

That the company failed to solve the problem for so long (as well as all the other major issues) shows scant regard for customers or the company's heritage. I don't actually think any of this will hurt the company, even if a class action suit suceeds. I just think it's a real shame that there's a whole decade's worth of Porsche sportscars out there with uneccessarily crummy engines.