View Single Post
Old 06-18-2012, 09:03 PM   #1
BruceH

Garage
Considering a Boxter (not Just a 1997-it was sold)

***edit: I changed the title because today I found out that the car I was looking at and had been negotiating for, was sold. So now, I am back to my search and not just for the 1997 model year, in fact newer would be better***

I have been looking for a nice, clean Boxter and have come across a one owner, 1997 Boxter with just over 33,000 miles. It has a clean CARFAX(no accidents) report and judging by the pictures and conversations with the owner, I think it could be just what I am looking for. I made my final offer of $11,000 subject to a PPI. The car is located out of state but I won't make my final decision until I actually see it. The color is Black Pearl with grey interior(the color combination that I want), heated seats, traction control, 17 inch wheels, all pretty standard stuff. Is there anything other than the IMS issue that I should be concerned about? I know I am taking a risk with a low miles car in that seals can dry up and in talking with a Porsche mechanic, he felt the low miles cars had more IMS failures, whether that's true or not, I don't know. Any thoughts?

I came close to getting a 2001 with 29,000 miles last week but a PPI turned up some oil in the coolant along with some other issues so I passed on that one, but the outside was immaculate. It was also $4000 more than this one. I could have probably got it down to $14K if the PPI had turned out clean. But to be honest, the '97 looks just as nice. I guess my question is, is it worth 3 or 4 thousand more for a newer vintage?

Some times I think I am nuts for considering a 15 year old car but this is not going to be a DD. Just something for fun. Sure I could go buy a newer one for more, but I am not sure a newer vintage would get me that much more. I don't want to go over $15,000. I have driven a 1999(2.5L) and a 2001(2.7L) and didn't see much difference. I would appreciate any thoughts, experiences or concerns anyone might have. Thanks, this is a great forum! I have learned a lot already on here, or so I think.

Last edited by BruceH; 06-22-2012 at 03:53 PM. Reason: Original car was sold that I was looking at
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote