View Single Post
Old 06-18-2012, 01:02 PM   #25
landrovered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsimion View Post
Lawyers don't get paid anything in class action suits unless they both win and collect. The average guy won't get anything UNLESS the lawyers sue and win. If there is no merit, nobody gets anything. The lawyers waste all their time and effort and the little guy still has nothing, which means he is no worse off than before. If the lawyers sue and win, the little guy gets "free money" with no effort whatsoever. Being a little guy, ANY compensation I get for this issue is better than what I have right now, which is NOTHING. I fail to see what could possibly be a better situation than that.
Just because a lawyer is willing to "roll the dice" on a class action suit by fronting the costs knowing that he might win big in one out of three or four cases. There is still lots of collateral damage to the companies being litigated against. You seem to forget that the company being sued still has to pay to defend itself from the lawsuit even when there is no settlement or merit to the case, so it is far from a "no harm, no foul" situation.