View Single Post
Old 06-17-2012, 06:57 AM   #3
Mark_T

I went on a tour with the local PCA group once. Drove to a car show in a small town about 1 1/2 hours from the city. Well, normally 1 1/2 hours - this run took a about an hour. My little 2.5 was third in line, with a Carrera in front and a new Spyder behind, so I was a little shy on horsepower. I'm all for a spirited drive, but this was nuts. Cruising speed was about 130kph and the leaders were passing 2 or 3 cars at a time with speeds reaching 170 kph (two lane highway, one each way, not divided), and it was all I could do to keep up. It's a wonder we didn't all get pulled over and tossed in jail.

I went along with it because I was new to the group and didn't want to be a wus, but what I should have done, and would do if there was going to be a next time (which there isn't),is pull over and let them all go and then proceed at my own somewhat more safe and sedentary pace.

I gotta say that joining the local PCA chapter was a big disappointment. I was hoping to find a bunch, or at least a few, gearheads that would form a core of technical expertise. Swap ideas, tools, help each other out with tough jobs, etc. It was nothing like that. Just a bunch of well-off retirees and soon-to-be retirees that don't seem to have much interest in the cars themselves. There was one guy that was pointed out to me as the guy who "knows these cars" and on the three occasions that I spoke to him he (with an air of great importance) provided incorrect information everytime and generally came across as a self-absorbed buffoon. Between that, and the general second-class citizen status of Canadian chapters, I quickly got fed up and walked.

Just wasn't for me, I guess.

Last edited by Mark_T; 06-17-2012 at 07:13 AM.
Mark_T is offline   Reply With Quote