View Single Post
Old 06-16-2012, 07:38 PM   #5
Frodo

To expand on my earlier (admittedly somewhat flippant) answer...

A few years ago, shortly after buying the Box, I found myself with an alternator that was quickly heading south on me. Having decided that I really needed to do at least some of my own work on this car, I dove into the project: wrestled the alternator out, and took it to Automotive Electric Service Inc, a little place on some out of the way back street in Akron, Ohio, for a rebuild. A serious throw-back to the mid-20th Century, the place had hand-painted signs and well-used alternators of immense variety sitting around everywhere, including on the counter-top by the old style cash register, and notepads on which they did hand-written receipts. They did a fine job on my little Boxster alternator, had it ready the next day.

Found myself heading out to the local Porsche dealership a few days later, irritated because I needed them to reset the airbag CEL that had come on because I hadn't had the foresight to disconnect my battery before pulling the passenger seat to access the panel into the engine compartment.

You know where this is going. Yup...it cost me more to reset the CEL at the stealership than it had to have the alternator rebuilt.
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote