View Single Post
Old 06-14-2012, 09:46 AM   #5
2003S

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by US monkey View Post
Are there any big ticket items that consistently come up with these cars? Ive done a fair bit of research, but havent come up with any glaring issues that I should expect to present themselves. Would you agree?
Unless you wrench it yourself, there is very little that is cheap to maintain on these cars. The 800 lb gorilla in the room is the IMS bearing failure; I won't try to scare you about it, but do your research before you buy, so you are at least informed. You can spend thousands in preventative maintenance on it, or you can take your chances (I won't wager the odds, many have had long lived cars without touching it).

Otherwise, That PPI will give you the best info about the car you are looking at. All of the items I listed before can cost more than a few bucks if you don't DIY.

Again if its certified with a warranty, I like the odds better. At least you're covered for a while should something fail. Personally, I put aside "maintenance money" every year, to cover the inevitable with a car that old. Stuff just wears out.
2003S is offline   Reply With Quote