View Single Post
Old 11-01-2005, 05:44 PM   #5
MNBoxster

Hi,

Tough Call, it all depends how much time and effort you're willing to expend to save $$$. My thoughts: Body and Motion is a Labor Intensive business. That is, their Core business is providing Service and Repair, aka Labor. As such, their main costs are going to be payroll. They need the work, not the sale of spare parts both to meet costs and to retain their trained staff. They're coming up on the slowest time in the Repair biz, especially for Porshes. Engine: 40k mi. is not new, but how many did you have? Subtract your mileage and you have a clearer picture of what you're getting into. Call some Warranty Companies for referral on reman'd Engines, they'll have a few leads. Call L.A. Posche Dismantler and ask for a reference to a similar East Coast operation, they'll have one. The M96/20 Engine is the lowest demand engine and so you should get a better price than you now have. Labor is what Labor is expect this to stay fairly constant.

I would NEGOTIATE. Find several other engines - eBay, L.A. Porsche Dismantler, etc. and come up with an avg. price for an M96/20 (2.5L Boxster Engine) with similar mileage. My guess: somewhere around $3500. Then present this info to them and offer to pay $1,500 on top of this = $5,000. I assume you have a Daily Driver, so tell them it isn't Time Critical, give them a 60 day window. This way, they don't forego other work but can use yours as Fill-in, Plus, they can unload that Lump in the corner of the Shop (they'll know that a 2.5L is gonna take some doing to sell-off. Ask for a 180 Day Warranty against all use except abuse. If No-Joy with Body and Motion, use all this info. to secure an engine and keep shopping for a Shop. More work, but you save $$$. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!...Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote