View Single Post
Old 06-09-2012, 01:44 PM   #16
san rensho

To preserve the synchros, you need to blip when you are in neutral, then quickly downshift. Don't wait to blip until you have gone to the lower gear. YTo will save wear on the clutch if you blip after you have selected the new gear, but if you blip in neutral, you will also save the synchro.

Have I mastered rev matching? No, even though I had to learn how to double clutch downshift because I had Italian cars, that had horrible synchros,I still don't get it perfect every time.

When I first started rev matching, what worked for me is to blip in neutral and quickly select the lower gear, but then take it easy a little. Instead of just popping the clutch, I let it out a little and get a feel for whether I have over reved or under reved. If I over reved, the car will accelerate and I push the clutch in a little to slow down the acceleration caused by over reving.. If I under reved, then the car will brake, and I hit the throttle to compensate,

After much practice, you will get an instinctive feel for how much to blip and when to release the clutch.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000