View Single Post
Old 06-08-2012, 10:06 AM   #1
southernstar

The new Boxster - the triumph of technology over skill?

Yes, the new Boxster is both an incredible value for the money and a show-case for modern technology. Pedro, of Pedro's Board, notes that in testing he has found the automatic to be faster than the standard on track; not surprisingly, virtually all versions that have been made available for testing have also been automatics.

I have little doubt that a modern automatic can be made to shift faster than any human can shift a standard transmission. I also have no doubt that it can also be made to downshift more smoothly and quickly. In the same vein, I have little doubt that within the next 20 years we will see cars with computer programs that will not only allow them to steer and brake without human imput (simple verions are already being tested), but that especially on circuits with pre-determined and programmed corners, they will be able to do so faster and more consistently than a comparable care using human control.

Am I the only one who sees this a retrograde step (or steps) for the driver who takes pride in developing his skill. Who enjoys a perfectly (or more realistically, close to perfectly) executed double-clutch downshift? So what if a computer can do the same better - what pirde is there in that? Who wants a car that can be driven more quickly by an unskilled driver using computer controls, than one driven less quickly by a highly skilled driver using considerable skill? The unskilled driver, that's who!

The music industry has changed so that it is no longer necessary for singers to be able to even carry a tune. Autotune programs allow terrible singers to maintain (or at least, to appear to maintain) perfect pitch, even during 'live' performances. The result are labels eager to sign untalented artists who suit the image - the only important thing - that they want their artists to convey. Is there anyone else here who hates the dillution of talent that has been brought about by this modern technology?

I will continue to muddle my way through, driving a car with a standard transmission, no traction control and care less if my times are beaten by some unskilled 'driver' who can only perform with computer-aided shifting and traction.
To me, that is the essence of a 'sprots car'. It rewards those who make the effort to hone their driving skills.

Brad
southernstar is offline   Reply With Quote