View Single Post
Old 06-05-2012, 02:41 PM   #7
Topless
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vijen6 View Post
For example if I did a lap with the instructor driving, followed by a lap that I drive. Then looking at the data for both lap while we're waiting for the next go, it would let me quickly identify the parts that needs the most improvement.

Observation like "hey, I'm 18 second off the instructor's time .. but that's because the instructor completed section 3 in 25 seconds and I completed it in 40 second .. I'm losing 15 second alone there .. that's probably from me slowing down too much before the slalom" is much more useful when trying to learn as compared to "dang I'm 18 second off the instructor's time .. he must be really good .. I'll try harder next time on the whole course".

With A/X, you don't get as many runs around a course as you do with a big track so quick accurate observation matters even more. I'll look into that Harry's timer you recommended.
Ok, if you are 18 sec. off your instructors time on a 60 sec. AX course... you might want to consider golf.

Seriously though, I use data loggers/lap timers and they are very valuable when you are beyond the basics and chasing that last 1/2 second on a track. I rarely set it up for AX. When I first started out six years ago I think it would have been TMI. With PCA-SDR you are not even allowed to have a lap timer in the car until you are Solo qualified. A handy track map, verbal instruction between runs, right seat time with an experienced instructor, and corner working tend to be the fastest way to learn AX in my experience. Feeling how the car moves from the right seat with a smooth driver is still very useful to me.

These are good gps laptimers/dataloggers when you are ready:
Welcome to Harry?s GPS LapTimer
RaceChrono - The GPS Lap Timer