View Single Post
Old 06-05-2012, 11:46 AM   #4
vijen6

Thanks Topless, J.Fro.

Its not about getting data to improve for next time since the course will be different so your data is much less useful. Its about getting instant data after the run so you can analyze during that 5 min time gap while waiting for your next go around.

I 100% agree that getting in the right seat with the fast guys is definitely at the very least an eye opener to see how fast the car can actually go, where the limits are and what are the best line for each corner are ect ect.

However, IMO, both good granular data and instructor seat time are good student aid. In fact they're best together.

For example if I did a lap with the instructor driving, followed by a lap that I drive. Then looking at the data for both lap while we're waiting for the next go, it would let me quickly identify the parts that needs the most improvement.

Observation like "hey, I'm 18 second off the instructor's time .. but that's because the instructor completed section 3 in 25 seconds and I completed it in 40 second .. I'm losing 15 second alone there .. that's probably from me slowing down too much before the slalom" is much more useful when trying to learn as compared to "dang I'm 18 second off the instructor's time .. he must be really good .. I'll try harder next time on the whole course".

With A/X, you don't get as many runs around a course as you do with a big track so quick accurate observation matters even more. I'll look into that Harry's timer you recommended.
vijen6 is offline   Reply With Quote