View Single Post
Old 06-05-2012, 03:56 AM   #2
j.fro
Rennzenn

Garage
Using intermediate timers on AX courses would be interesting, but they would get destroyed! When drivers are really pushing it, they can go off course just about anywhere. AX course designers are very conscious of finish-line design, making it so that the timers are less likely to get nailed by a wayward driver, but it happens anyway. When that happens, it takes a while to get things re-set with the spare timers...and they are about $200 each, which is billed to the schmuck who took it out. And that brings up another point...most AX organizations run on a pretty tight budget. Cost for a split timer is just too much.

So here's my thoughts on using a data logger...
I tried using LogBox on my iPhone, but it really didn't teach me anything that was usable at the next event. Even when you're at the same site event after event, every course is so different. It's impossible to review a section and then try it again...once the event is over, that section is gone! Plus, I find that when I think too much during a run, I'm more likely to over/under drive those sections.
For me, simply driving lots and "Use the Force, Luke!" is the most effective approach. I try yo get at least two, if not three events per month. At the beginning of the year I will look at the calendars from different organizations and decide which will be my "priority" races and which will be my "prep" races. I try to arrange my schedule so that there's a "prep" race one week before a "priority". That really helps to tune me in to the limits of the car.
j.fro is offline   Reply With Quote