View Single Post
Old 06-04-2012, 04:32 AM   #10
Frodo

Quote:
Originally Posted by deptotpr View Post
I pulled up to destination, reversed into parking space, when I stopped, nothing but smoke out of the side vents, and a viscious dump of coolant. I am hoping it is just a hose issue. I did not even notice during the drive, and did not get any overheating dash warning lights? Anyone else had similiar experience?
Sounds irritating simplistic, I know, but basically you start by getting the car on a lift or jack stands and looking for the source of the coolant. Water pumps intermittently die on these cars, and when it happens you tend to see some coolant leakage.

I'm a very long way from being a seasoned mechanic, but your coolant leak seems like a lot---perhaps it is just a hose issue. My pump went many months ago and I did get some coolant loss, but it was a trickle. I would think (again, I'm no expert) that if your water pump had deteriorated to the point where you lost that much coolant, you'd be hearing quite a clatter as well. Was there any noise noted in conjunction with the coolant dump? Had you been smelling hot coolant over the past several times you've driven it?

In my limited experience, I'm thinking it's probably not the pump. Again, you just need to elevate the car and see where it's coming from.
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote