View Single Post
Old 06-04-2012, 04:08 AM   #14
johnsimion

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightngSVT View Post
I could kick myself in the butt for test driving a Boxster S today. But not just any car a brand new '11 S with PDK. I went to the dealer to check out an 07 Cayman base (nice car, not to many options, 50k miles but only $28k) and after I returned from the test drive we got talking about the Boxster S in the showroom, they then insisted I take it for a drive. I cannot believe the difference between these cars! The S makes the base car seem like, well ummmmm, a base car. So I think I have to find an S car now and may have to change my rules of only an 08+ car because I dont really want to spend $58k ($10k off sticker of $68) on a car but holy freakin crap was that car amazing! Anyone wanna make donations? LOL!

One thing I found weird is that my 06 BMW 330i manual feels faster than the base 07 Cayman did. My car has around 255hp compared to the Cayman / Boxster's 245hp. Im sure the BMW has more torque but Im also sure it has to weigh a lot more than the Porsche's.

So would I expect there to be much difference between the 11 S and say an 06 or 07 S (I realize there is a 15hp difference)? I NEED an S!!! Maybe I should consider the 08 RS60.

What I want to know is where you drive where you felt you could take advantage of all that power. My regular commuter car has been in the shop and so I've driven the (base) Cayman several hundred miles in the last 5 days and this is what I've noticed: My Cayman makes everyone else drive faster. Every car at every light seems determined to race me, and everybody on the four lane feels the urge to pass me no matter how extra-legal my own speed is. Are they beating me? Heck yes, I am not 16 years old and I am not about to risk my license and my insurance in a silly race. I also worked too hard to earn my $50K car to risk driving it with no insurance on a track. The "twisties" around here are largely a mythical creation populated, where they do exist, by Uncle Joe's old pickup doing 45 mph and speed traps elsewhere. I got the car for the on-ramps and the good looks and I don't need an "S" model for that. I see no benefit whatsoever to buying any super-performance model. If I want to go really fast, I'll ride a roller coaster or ride with a buddy at the track.
johnsimion is offline   Reply With Quote