View Single Post
Old 05-29-2012, 11:39 AM   #11
vijen6

You're right, this number changes daily as more 986 break down. Since they're no longer making new 986, the ratio inevitable will increase and we'll never know the exact new ratio.

However, to make this cost effective for me at 25% the cost of a replacement engine, 1 in 4 986 ever made would need to have experienced this failure. Call me optimistic, but I doubt that.

Personally, my car doesn't get driven much anymore .. about 3000 miles a year mostly to / from autocrosses / trackdays ( and the occasional Starbucks run ) .. so it gets driven pretty hard .. however I change my oil very regularly, keep an eye on oil level / leaks, use the LN full flow filter with the 160deg thermostat, so I'm not too worried.

If I'm unlucky enough to be have the engine blow, I'll just swap in a new one ( maybe 3.4 or 3.6 ) and call it a day. I'll do the IMS when the new one goes in ( or at next clutch change ) because it will make financial sense to do it at that time since everything will be apart anyways.

I'm not looking to sell my car anytime soon ( if ever ), so resell value at this time means little to me. The bad economy, perceived upkeep / premium fuel cost, carbon hood and aftermarket bumper as well as the shiesty condition of my front end paint will beat my resell price to hell anyways. Beside, my car will appeal more to the 18 yr old crowd because its "cheaper than a civic" and "looks cool" with the carbon fiber bits and "rims', not the 50 year old Porsche enthusiast looking for a 'OEM cherry'.

Last edited by vijen6; 05-29-2012 at 11:48 AM.
vijen6 is offline   Reply With Quote