View Single Post
Old 05-29-2012, 08:19 AM   #6
NoGaBiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijen6 View Post
4- Deliberated the ratio of cars with failed IMS vs cost to do upgrade just for the sake of piece of mind .. and decided against it ..

I fall into this category. I'm sure others too. Its definitely not about the money if OP said he's going with a 3.6 when the engine goes.
Precisely. I've said it on here before, but with the cost approaching $3500 (Raby is local to me, Hi Jake!) that is pretty much exactly 25% of the cost of replacement engine. Since paying for a replacement engine would not be a hardship for me (and in fact would give me an excuse to upgrade to a 3.6), I like the odds. I don't think they are anywhere near 25% for 40-50,000 mile M96s, so statistically it is a bad gamble.

When I'm in there anyway (whenever dictated by a failed clutch, which might never happen if I decided to trade for something else, which could happen despite my intent not to right now) then of course the extra $600 is a small enough fraction of the cost of engine replacement that it could be considered incidental, and foolish to not do so at that time.
NoGaBiker is offline   Reply With Quote