View Single Post
Old 05-24-2012, 12:38 PM   #38
JFP in PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider 310 View Post
Answer from Mahle corporate

thanks for the link. This Original Equipment design with the fleece endplates is made for and approved by Porsche, and it has to go through rigorous testing inside MAHLE and at the Porsche test facilities in different climatic regions and dust environments, before it is released for production. One example is the pulsation test. Here the filter is pulsed 500 000 times to see if it still holds its shape and performance. The endplates are actually made of flexible fleece (polymeric) temperature resistant material that will assure a tight seal to the tube that the filters is being pushed onto all the way to the next oil filter change. The material is superior to a plastic and even an elastomer (rubber) seal, due to the fact that it can compensate the thermal expansion and contraction of the filter module components during different operating phases such as cold start, warm-up, cool down etc.....

As far as the filtration efficiency, I can assure you that anybody who only claims a percentage and maybe a particle size that is being filtered out is ignoring a whole lot of detail filter media knowledge that is necessary to select the correct filter media for a high performance engine like the Porsche. What about the dirt holding capacity over the oil change interval, meaning can it hold all the dirt and filter all the particles out after a few thousand miles or does it get plugged up and the oil bypasses the filtered without any filtration? What about the structural integrity of the filter over the lifetime? Does the paper stay connected to the endplates, does it disintegrate due to pulsation, temperature fluctuation, oil containing detergents and condensation? There are many more questions that need to be answered before making statements like about the performance filter you had mentioned. MAHLE has a selection of different filter media, (cellulose resin impregnated, plymerfic fleece, different proe sizes, different dust hoilding etc. etc....) with different performance criteria, that are specifically tailored towards to the automotive manufacturers requirements, and we use exactly the same filter media in our Aftermarket filters, not a generic lower grade filter media for all oil filters.
Obviously, you are now just spoiling for an argument here because you perceive that I insulted your beloved employer. Fine. I could also totally waste my time and address every single technical point quoted in your post, item by item, in lugubrious detail, with references, and you would still argue on, ad nauseam. No thanks, I have better (and more profitable) things to do with my time.

All of the technical information for both filter manufacturers is available if you do a thorough search; as are the noted issues with the Mahle filters (we are not the only ones to have observed them). Based upon years of experience with Porsche’s, we cannot recommend Mahle filters to our customers and instead recommend a replacement that has never demonstrated any of these issues.

Have a nice life………………………

Last edited by JFP in PA; 05-24-2012 at 01:17 PM.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote