View Single Post
Old 05-23-2012, 11:39 AM   #19
Overdrive
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
My issue is more with the name choice. Isn't there a German word for cheap but functional? LOL Charlie Chan muffler sounds like the latest Hot Import Nights marketing campaign.
Considering that's not really the official name (that I know of), and as far as I can tell is nothing more than Johnny Danger's attempt at a chuckle-worthy (though slightly offensive) title for a cheap Chinese origin item, the name choice is strictly colloquial. Making it Benihana doesn't do any better, really.

There has been a noted weight loss and performance gain, and while 10hp isn't really amazing, it matters for this car, where one needs every horse they can get if they're trying to gain performance there, since these engines don't gain much without serious building and money. I don't take that to mean the car has been engieneered to its optimum, I see it rather as Porsche introducing enough limitations that the car's optimum is only a minimal gain. Even if one were to build the motor up well, improve several things, and use good bolt-on parts, I can't see a 2.5 exceeding 250hp without going forced induction...not nearly worth the money it'll take to get there.

I personally want something that's going to provide some performance bump and better breathing without making the car sound terrible. If that's out there, I'll go for it. I'm not trying to make a pure track car, but something that can be tracked well and driven to and from said track comfortably.

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote