View Single Post
Old 05-16-2012, 08:25 AM   #3
Homeboy981
Homeboy981

Garage
Bar10dah,

Pelican and a few others have the plex on the OUTSIDE of the roll bar, it inherently has more wind resistance. Plus, you have to use rivets for the placement on your roll bar AND drill PERMANENT holes. Ouch!

The ones I have use the 'factory' holes on the FRONT side on the roll bar. The MORE WIND the better! It only gets stronger as the MPHs increase, to a point I'm sure but I have 'tested' it 120+ and with only a little wind noise, no sign of failure.

The plexiglass or lexan, if you prefer, is only ¼" and uses the same holes as the roll bar bumpers on the FRONT SIDE of the roll bar, or trim pieces. There is nothing exciting about mine, it just works. Cheap fix. No more breaking the mounting pieces. Plus, it looks better "naked" - since there are no "mesh-looking pieces" behind the seats.

I put speakers on my back deck so I am using the "half-size" Wind Deflector. It looks like the plastic piece in the center from the factory except is a little larger, since it bolts UNDER the plastic bumper roll bar pieces. There are three pieces and they can be undone with a flathead screwdriver (using electrical tape over the ends so you do not marr the roll bar paint). Moderate pressure is all that is required.

Easy to make. Snap the roll bar pieces off, not literally. Measure with what you have (newspaper will work - I used a plastic sheet). Cut the plex out with a jigsaw, mark the holes, measure, mark the holes again and then drill the holes. Sand to perfection.

Finished full size is 40" X 12", and it took a couple trys, so I would buy a 2' X 4'. Material should not be more than $35.

Will post pics soon. Camera is at home.