View Single Post
Old 05-15-2012, 01:25 AM   #18
Spinnaker

Spinnaker, good catch, I'll bet you feel better now!
Do you think your (old) pump is original Porsche - I can't see any part numbers in the photo?
It looks very close in appearance to the OEM pump that I bought, down to the "MADE IN FRANCE" lettering in the casting and the fit and finish of the whole thing. But it definately is not the original pump. The gasket was cut, so it was a replacement. The amount of corrosion and dirt on the exterior of it, leaves me to believe that it has been in the car for a long time.
If its a Laso or a cheap knockoff, you are very lucky as the pump only had 50% of the blades pumping fluid....
Definately not a LASO. I have one for comparison. Bought it before I found out that they don't hold up, so I never used it. The LASO has a brown plastic impeller and the metal casting has a much rougher surface. The one I took out has a black plastic impeller, like the new OEM one I bought.
When you went fishing for broken impeller bits, did you remove the thermostat to see if any of the debris was hooked up in the t 'stat housing - sometimes the 'stat collects them.
The very first thing I did after I got the water pump out and discovered the broken impeller blades. Found a couple of small plastic thread like pieces of debris, but no chunks in the thermostat housing.
I hate to think where the impeller remains are located, but perhaps the finely ground dust adds up to the sum total of the missing impeller bits.
If all the pieces left in the system are as small as the ones I got out, then I'm not worried about them clogging up any passages. They are way too small.
And to reverse flush the system, the 'stat should be removed anyway - it helps with the fluid flow.
After this experience, I have an idea for a universal flushing attachment for your garden hose. It would make it easier to hook up the garden hose to all the different size hoses you run into. I can get into business making them like Dirkdiggler "Anyone need a Boxster magnetic drain plug". If I sold one, I would consider that a success.

Looking at the water pump from the point of view of the tool and pattern maker I once was a long time ago, I don't see why they couldn't have make the impeller vanes a bit thicker. Would have made them a lot stronger and longer lasting. I guess the P-car engineers figured the IMS would go before the water pump.
I might have a secret desire to lose this engine so I can get a 3.6 from Jake. He needs to get bumped up to the the next tax bracket and pay for those new buildings. It would be fun to try the 3.6 before I get too much older and eventually leave this earth. The next person to own my car would get a real surprise the first time they "see what she'll do".
Here's some more pics of the pump I took out.

3X Water Pump, Clear side markers, Crios Mod, Front engine mount, Flywheel, clutch, RMS, AOS, MAF, serpentine belt, power brake vacuum line, battery, 2X CV boots, Fuel filter, Oil filler tube, 3X ignition switch, 90K service, gas cap

Last edited by Spinnaker; 05-15-2012 at 08:38 PM.
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote