View Single Post
Old 05-11-2012, 11:01 AM   #1
ProjectM96

First Race. How to Prepare Car.

It is not really a race, but it is close.

I am going to the Thunderbolt track in NJ next weekend. There will be an instructor with me in the car the entire time. It is an all day event. Maybe a total of 4 hours hard driving throughout the day.

I will basically be trying to keep up with an STI the whole time. As I catch up, the STI driver will speed up, until I get comfortable at very high speed turning and braking.

My car: 87,000 miles. 5 Speed Manual Transmission. It is due for a transmission oil change in 3000 miles. Engine oil is good. Just replaced engine and cabin air filter. I am replacing lower control arms and strut top bushings since they are bad. I am installing lowering springs and getting alignment. I just got new front tires and they are balanced. Rear tires are still good.

I am finishing up installing my exhaust system + test pipes today.

In addition, I plan to clean the leaves and sticks out of the radiator to try to prevent possible overheating. Coolant is full and only 4000 miles old.

My brakes and rotors are good. I might possibly swap in race pads from a Cayman S for the race If they fit. I got them for free.

Anything else I need to worry about? This is an event for novices where no passing is allowed.

Again, keep in mind that it will take me 1.5 hours to drive to the track, 4 hours of hard driving at the track. And then 1.5 hours driving back home. I really don't want a breakdown.