View Single Post
Old 05-02-2012, 07:29 AM   #1
ericinca

Still lousy audio after upgrades?

I regret to say this, but the sound in my 986 still sounds worse than the audio in my humble Honda Civic after upgrading various components in the car. Come on Porsche!

I still have the CDR-220 head unit but have replaced the following:

* Dash speakers with 4" Infinity Kappas
* Door speakers with 6" Infinity Kappas and custom enclosures
* Frunk amp replaced with Infinity Kappa amp

I had hoped that the sound would be much improved after the upgrade. When I listen to my iPod through the AUX input of the CDR-220, the sound comes out pretty good as I would have hoped (it could sound better still), but I also do a fair amount of listening to the FM radio, and I have to say… it still sucks. The FM sound is dull and lacks punch. It sounds like the audio has gone through some kind of weird and undesirable EQ, and the sound comes out unbalanced with almost too much midrange and needs more bass. In contrast, the audio in my 13-year-old Honda Civic, which runs an OEM head unit (manufactured by Kenwood?) with a pair of upgraded Infinity Kappa speakers sounds way better.

Is it the tuner in the CDR-220 head unit that still sucks? I'm interested in the collective wisdom of this form and what I can do to get this to sound better. (Keep in mind a fair amount of money has already been spent upgrading.) What can I do? Have I done something wrong or missed something in the upgrade process so far?

Last edited by ericinca; 05-02-2012 at 07:30 AM. Reason: General edits
ericinca is offline   Reply With Quote