View Single Post
Old 05-01-2012, 11:43 AM   #10
pothole

One can be too precious about this sort of thing, but my suspicion is that the heads are very fragile on these cars - especially the 3.2s in the 986, it seems - so the fear of cracking them due to not letting all the different metals warm up gradually is enough to make me warm the car up carefully.

Two extra things I'd say - all the guidance says you should start the car and move off immediately. Couple of reason I think - most wear happens when the engine is cold and it takes much longer to warm up idling. So you want a little load, but only a little. Also, remember the gearbox and other bits could do with warm up and that also happens must fast on the move.

The other thing is that the water gets to temp before the oil, so you should give it at least a couple more minutes once the water is at temp. I tend to limit to 3k until the water temp is fully up, then limit to 4k for a few minutes, then 5k for a few more and then I'm happy to pin the throttle. Whole process is probably at least 15 mins, maybe nearer 20.