View Single Post
Old 04-30-2012, 06:22 PM   #7
Jager

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster View Post
The Cayman S was introduced in the fall of 2005. Porsche whipped up a batch of silver cars and black cars to send to the dealers to put on their showroom floors. The silver cars were all speced the same with loads of options. The black cars had fewer options. The dealers were not supposed to sell which ever Launch Vehicle they got. They were for generating traffic and attention until Porsche could get more Caymans in the pipeline.

It's my understanding Porsche does this often when a new version is coming out. There evidently was a 2005 Boxster Launch Vehicle. I've never heard of them before, don't know how many they made of the silver Caymans. But they had to be early production numbers. I had no idea what I had until someone started a thread about Launch Vehicles. The description fit my Cayman S and sure enough, it had the right option code. Hoepfully the next owner is looking for a low serial # 2006 Cayman S.
Interesting... Makes sense if the factory needs to build quicker than normal to keep all vehicle options the same. Thanks for the education.

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote