View Single Post
Old 04-30-2012, 04:04 PM   #7
md10835

Quote:
Originally Posted by san rensho View Post
Interesting. So you are saying the noise is from wear on the vario-cam pads, or do you mean the chain ramp pads? In any event, if its either of those, I'm not going there, because at that point, since I'd already be in there, I would of course have to replace all the lifters, just to rule them out as the cause of the noise.

Another question, cam deviation shows pad wear? I'm at around -5.6 on the 1-3 bank and -4.3 on the 4-6 bank.

Thanks.
both have plastic covering that the chain slides along. this is what i thought you meant you replaced. after a while, as you can imagine, the plastic wears and lets a little slop into the chain - though i would imagine the ramp guides would be more responsible for the noise than the variocam pads since the variocam actuates at a higher RPM.

i think the "normal" deviation is up to +/- 4 degrees, so anything outside of that is "not normal". i think after enough the chain will start skipping teeth and then ... :ah:

as an aside, i've been at -8.8 (1) and -5.6 (2) for ~20k miles...

if you cut open your filter / remove the oil pan and look for little bits of plastic - either black (ramps) or creamy tan (variocam) color.

Last edited by md10835; 04-30-2012 at 04:07 PM.
md10835 is offline   Reply With Quote