Old 11-12-2003, 11:49 AM   #14
markk

> "Have to make a comment about the 2.7L, after owning one for 2 years and an
S for 8 months I have to say I wouldn't mine going back to the 2.7. Driving
in the city you couldn't tell the difference, as a matter of fact the
2.7 feels better in the city than the S."
-Shaeetoon(DFW)

Can't comment on comparison.

> "I've own/owned 3 Porsches (01 996, 02 996 and 01 Boxster S). Strangely, the shifter in my
Boxster S is one of its weak points. It feels sloppy, plastic, and it's hard to get into
3rd gear. The dealer service tech tested my car and told me it is typical, and within
normal. "
-Ray Gram

I don't have any trouble getting into 3rd, never have, never will.
(i hope ;-)

> "The gearbox on the S seems mushy, as well as the clutch. The base seemed a lot more
precise. "
-robb in socal

Can't comment on comparison...

> "I still maintain that the 5-spd feels better than the 6-spd. "
-Brian Harrington, 'S' owner

Can't comment on comparison

"When I drove the 5-speed it seemed to shifter easier (less balking) than the 6-speed
in the "S"."
-John S

"that was my experience as well."
-al greenborg

"On a test drive of the S 6-speed vs 2.7 5-speed , I loved the S power, could not
tell the difference in brakes but much prefered the 5-speed. It seemed to match the
engine better."
-Iwas There (Toronto)

Can't comment on comparison

> "but its gear ratios are not particularly well suited to the S' 3.2 liter engine. "
-John Brown of Northern Virginia

Not very specific

> Andrew P's observations ('S' owner)
1) Torque delivery in 3rd is lackluster. This isn't a complaint, but I'm used to cars
pulling a lot harder in 3rd. There's plenty of pull in 2nd, but 3rd seems a little anemic.
Having said that, I am faithfully following the break-in guidelines and not taking the
engine past 4200... I have a feeling that the 3rd gear "fun" doesn't start until the 5000
range...

Not my experience at all. I really do like 3rd gear in combo with the 3.2l torgue. It's relatively long, top speed in 3rd is about 170 which makes acceleration in the range 100-170 a blast without any shifts. And the 3.2 has more then enough torgue to drive around in 3rd at 40/50 as well. Naturally with these speeds I you floor the pedal it doesn't blast you away and for really fast acceleration you have to down-shift to 2nd, like in every car at this speed. For (more then) normal driving it quite good IMHO without a needed down-shift.

> 2) The shifter is a little sloppy. I find the throws to be a tad long, but not too long.
It's not spongy (is that a word) like my BMW... it's just... ahh... the best way to
describe it is that the spring that brings the shifer in between the 3rd and 4th gates
while in neutral isn't strong enough. I've missed a number of shifts (fortunately I've
cuaght myself).... It seems that I've been conditioned to work with that spring-load and
I'm just not getting that feedback.

The throws could be shorter, I agree. Can't compare to the 5-speed but can compare to my very short Impreza GTT and like that better. Can also compare to other cars like BMW e30 M3, e46 m3 and Peugeot 206gti. BoxsterS 6-speed is not long but it could be shorter, yes.

> 3) The synchros don't always seem to work. I've never "ground" anything, but sometimes I
just can't get it to go into gear (on upshifts). A little bit of double-clutching solves
the problem. I'm not sure what's going on here... hopefully I was just having a bad day...

Didn't have any problems with upshifts. Never double clutch. However I do shift with a "blip" in between gears. Just the way I'm used to shift, especially with down-shifts to the high rev scale
(back to 2nd at 70 or so)

Don't want to start a flame. But most comments up here are from the type "mines better than yours", instead of "this is an genuine issue yours". The ones that are of the last type I simply disagree, I'm sorry.

I am motivated to testdrive a 5-speed next time I visit the dealer though ;-)

Mark.
markk is offline   Reply With Quote