Thread: DRL Hack
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2012, 08:39 AM   #5
Auf los!

Done, but a problem

I did this mod this morning, after getting some fuse taps from Radio Shack. First I looked up a fuse diagram in the factory shop manual, which showed A9 to be the right lo beam, and A10 to be the left. Interesting...separate fuses for left and right? In my diagram they were listed as being 7.5 amps each. Well, when I got at the fuses I was surprised to see that my A9 and A10 were each 15 amp. Okay, I have a 2001 S with factory-fitted Litronics, so maybe the uprating makes sense.

I didn't want to put a fuse in the A6 spot that was rated less than A9 was, so I installed a 15 amp with the jumper wire. Switched on the ignition, the Litronics lit, and promptly went dark. The 15 amp fuse I had put in A6 had blown.

The only reason I could think for this is that I want to light BOTH headlamps, and each are rated 15 amp, so 15 x 2 = 30, and I tried installing a 30 amp fuse. Success!

This mod is WELL worth doing. I had done the same thing (full-power lo-beam DRLs) on my '99 Miata, and while the Miata had required a relay, I also installed an override switch for defeating the mod when autocrossing. When I would forget to turn the DRLs back on, I would immediately notice an annoying increase in cars pulling out right in front of me, etc.

Thanks, BoxsterSteve, for spurring me to get it done.
Auf los! is offline   Reply With Quote