View Single Post
Old 10-23-2005, 09:32 AM   #8
MNBoxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by chily3
A little off the jack stand issue, But do not recomend storing car for the winter without doing a whole bunch of things. Personally the Porsche or for that matter any car, needs to be driven at least monthly, this will keep the oil cirulating, keep all the seals from drying out.

You must have some sunny days where you can go for a drive long enough to full warm up the engine, oil etc.

mike
Hi,

Sorry, but for the Midwestern and other colder regions (where the temp stays consistently below 40° or lower), I have to disagree with you. In these climes, it's best to simply Hibernate the car, after prepping it as you mention.

This is because you'll induce all sorts of condensation internally as well as potentially having problems expanding and then suddenly contracting the seals. Not to mention that parts get brittle at very low temps and suddenly placing stress on them after a week or better at sub 40° temps can have some negative effects.

I have been storing Cars in this region for more than 30 years and still have one car (my '71 240Z) which I've owned since new. I have never suffered any ill effects of simply prepping the Car(s) and leaving it.

Research this forum for a post I did on how to properly store a Car for the Winter. I am actually spending the day today putting all my cars to sleep - a fair amount of work when storing 4 cars, but well worth it in the Spring!

Happy Motoring!...Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote