View Single Post
Old 04-23-2012, 07:36 PM   #7
Daniel R

Thank you for the comprehensive list.

The loss of licence was due to a DD (DUI in US) offence. :-( Unfortunately in Australia the limit is 0.05, lower than in California I believe, and a seasoned drinker is over the limit even when feeling fine. A little unfortunate, definitely stupid, now I am becoming acquainted with public transport.

I am leaning towards replacing almost everything, since I will probably keep this car for a long time. If I was to go all the way and do IMS and RMS would it make sense to do the clutch at the same time? It is still fine for general driving, but it has 75k miles on it since the last change (I am very gentle on the clutch, sometimes I shift without it for fun, crunch free of course).

I replaced the motor mount fairly recently, with a Pedro Race mount. It was brilliant at first, but feels like it deteriorated quickly. I notice if I take off quickly and get some wheel-spin, the engine jumps up and down like it did pre Pedro mount. Is it possible that Pedro's solid mount deteriorated quickly, or could it be that due to it's solid nature it put more stress on the transmission mounts and these need replacing now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
Rattle is most likely caused by Chain tensioners start with IMS tensioner & be sure to get the 2002 updated tensioner with the preload spring. Next replace the 1-3 cyl tensioner located on bottom of engine. Once you have installed both pumped full of new oil run engine to see if the rattle is gone & decide if you want to replace the 4-6 cyl tensioner which is much harder since you have to remove A/C compressor to access tensioner. Also listen for lifter noise at this point & decide if you want to replace lifters while doing the Vario-Cam chain wear pads need to be replaced also (4) this requires removing cams, pads could be contributing to noise, good news is they are cheap. IMS bearing & RMS ! You will notice once you have things apart it is fun to replace parts so inspect everywhere & if anything is showing wear buy new parts then. Water pump unless you have replaceed recently, same for motor mount. OK when you can tell us how you lost your license mate!
Daniel R is offline   Reply With Quote