View Single Post
Old 04-23-2012, 03:05 PM   #3
san rensho

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
Rattle is most likely caused by Chain tensioners start with IMS tensioner & be sure to get the 2002 updated tensioner with the preload spring. Next replace the 1-3 cyl tensioner located on bottom of engine. Once you have installed both pumped full of new oil run engine to see if the rattle is gone & decide if you want to replace the 4-6 cyl tensioner which is much harder since you have to remove A/C compressor to access tensioner. Also listen for lifter noise at this point & decide if you want to replace lifters while doing the Vario-Cam chain wear pads need to be replaced also (4) this requires removing cams, pads could be contributing to noise, good news is they are cheap. IMS bearing & RMS ! You will notice once you have things apart it is fun to replace parts so inspect everywhere & if anything is showing wear buy new parts then. Water pump unless you have replaceed recently, same for motor mount. OK when you can tell us how you lost your license mate!
I seem to remember reading that If you switch to the new style tensioners, that you need to replace all of them. I can see where you should replace the IMS and bank 1-3 since they both are on the same side of the IMS. But since the 4-6 tensioner is completely on the other side of the IMS, I can't see how not replacing that tensioner could have any effect.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000