View Single Post
Old 04-22-2012, 08:55 PM   #17
FirstPorscheAt18

Actually the mechanic does seem pretty qualified because he immediately said he needed to do the compression test. He found what I've already mentioned because during the compression test the coolant system had issues. It seems like they have a confident solution which is replacing what I've already mentioned, but i'll ask about the warping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeper View Post
If in fact you are truly dealing with a blown head gasket it is likely that there's more damage then simply replacing it. You won't know that until you get it to a qualified mechanic who can do a compression test. Driving it hot for more than a few miles, let alone weeks is terrible for any car.

We can all agree that you've spent more money than needed in the wrong areas but that has little to do with your current situation. right now you need someone to go through he car and make sure there's not further damage as when cars overheat hat happens is that the dis-similar metals now warp at different rates causing warpage (that's when the head gasket blows and no longer seals properly). Once that has happened you're looking at having the head milled back to being flat and probable other things. Rarely have I seen any car post 1995 car recover properly from a blown head gasket and last more than 20K miles. There always seems to be reoccurring stuff that gives you grief.

Don't ever deal with a general mechanic, either they know your Porsche car or they don't, if they don't know your particular car you're only paying them to learn at your expense, hence the issues you're having. Of course they'll have no issue with you paying them to do so but it is not helping you.

Good luck going forward. In the future you may want to post your issues PRIOR to blindly throwing cash at problems to those who have little knowledge of how to resolve them. What you're going through could have just as easily happened on a Honda, Toyota, etc with the very same results so the fact that it is a Porsche has nothing to do with your circumstance.
FirstPorscheAt18 is offline   Reply With Quote