View Single Post
Old 04-20-2012, 05:11 PM   #8
Utahridge

New Boxster Owner

Thank you for all of the feedback. I ultimately purchased the car. The retired gentleman brought the Boxster to my place of work to see and test drive the other day, which provided me the opportunity to have a half a dozen knowledgeable guys to go over the vehicle. The general consensus was that it was perfect. It looked like it had been kept in a time capsule. The test drive was as good as it looked – with just a slight hint of some flat spotting.

The very next day I had the PPI performed at a respected Porsche dealer. At first they were shocked in disbelief of the mileage on the odometer for a 2001. However at the end of the PPI they were believers. They even questioned the previous owner how he perfectly preserved the car. In fact, they said even though the original, 11 year old, Pilots were still on the car they were in new condition. Also, no leaks and all belts and hoses were like new. I asked about driving on such old tires and about having a complete fluid swap, and they said they didn't want to just take my money – this is coming from a Porsche dealer. They said the car was perfect right now and to just drive it as is.

WARNING: I don't want to start an IMS debate here. I also asked about the IMS issue and the service writer said in two years he had only seen one and it was on a 996 (complete engine replacement). The mechanic said in his nine years he also had only seen one. Just passing on their observations (large volume dealer in a major metro market).

So for now I am not going to address an IMS retrofit and will proceed at my own risk. I'm taking the attitude that should the engine blow, while it will hurt financially, I'll be putting a replacement engine in what is essentially a new chassis and I will still be into the car for far less than what a new Boxster would cost.

When I get a decent weather day around here I will take some photos and post them. Thanks again for all of the feedback.
Utahridge is offline   Reply With Quote