View Single Post
Old 04-19-2012, 10:18 AM   #8
FirstPorscheAt18

Thanks for your input. The headlights needed to be replaced because one was cracked and it would not pass a safety inspection. If I just replaced one, one would be new looking and the other would be yellowed out (beyond what you can fix with abrasive restorers)

The brakes shouldn't have costed that much, I agree.

The top was mostly cosmetic but the rear window was splitting off at the edges. It was going to cost $400-600+ anyways so I decided getting it brand new with a glass window would be worth it for around $1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoK View Post
Aside from tires and brakes, the $3,600 in repairs are basically cosmetic and wasn't required for the vehicle to operate correctly. Brakes can be done cheap and are routine maintainance items, tires you'll have to do every few years so those should be anticipated.

It's sad to say, but had you taken the car to a shop right away when your temp guage started blinking, you'd probably just be out a thermostat, water pump and belt which isn't a terribly expensive bill, relatively speaking. I'm kind of shocked you aren't looking at a $10k+ bill for a new replacement engine.

When a car gets to be 11 years old, stuff will start to go bad, that's just the way it is and really can't be avoided just because it's a Porsche. I'd imagine after these repairs are completed, you should be good to go for a while though. If I were you, I'd have them replace all the seals and gaskets in the motor while they're in there as I'm sure, if they're not going bad and leaking already, they will soon. Thats the first thing i did when I bought mine, in addition to a full inspection inside and out at the dealer.
FirstPorscheAt18 is offline   Reply With Quote