View Single Post
Old 04-19-2012, 10:03 AM   #4
ProjectM96

$2100 is actually a good price considering it includes the Head gasket. But you did overspend on other parts from the old $3600 you paid. You can get used head lights for $300 online. Or clean the yellowish foggyness off with a $6 headlight cleaner to make it look like new. Also, the top rear window can be replaced separately for a low price of $300-500 at different shops. And there are $10 sprays that make the waterproofness stronger.

Replace the belts yourself. It is an easy 5 minute job anyone can do with the right tools. Belts are $30-50.

Leaking Water Pump could be easy to miss. Porsche could have thought you used the A/C which caused water to leak on the ground. Completely normal for water to leak when you use A/C.

It is a good idea to replace the water pump with the thermostat anyways. The water pumps typically last 60,000-75,000 miles from what I hear.

Make sure the mechanic fills it up with coolant and closes the cap Extremely tight, or else air will get into the system and it will overheat again.

Think of it this way, after this repair bill, nothing major should happen for a long time.

I bought the Boxster as my first car almost 2 years ago when I was 21. So far, I have spent $1200 on repairs, maintenance, and modifications all together in 2 years. That is pretty good. and I am at 87,000 miles.