View Single Post
Old 04-17-2012, 02:04 AM   #4
sam1977

Thanks both for the responses. The fault turns out to me something very straight forward. The clue was really in the free sliding gear lever (only stopped by releasing the button in its various "notches") telling me that at some point is not connected to what it should be connected to.
The set up at the back is that the cable from the gear shift lever is connected to a basic lever mechanism via a ball and cup arrangement. This level then connects to the gear selector on the gear box via a length of round-bar around 0.5 metres long. Except on my car its no longer connected!

Lying on my back I can just about get my hand onto the gear shift on the gear box. Clicking it back into position the engine starts no problem. On the gear selector I can touch what appears to be the remains of a plastic or thin metal ball and cup connection (similar but smaller than the cable to lever connection described above). I say that as I can feel it and move it around but I can't actually see it as its buried too far back behind bits of suspension and drive shaft and tie bars etc.

So now my questions are a lot clearer than before

1) How do I remove what is left of the old connector at the gear selector? Is it indeed a ball and cup arrangement? I have skinned my knuckles, fingers, arm, wrist the lot try to pull this piece off.
2) What part number is this? Does anyone have an exploded view of this cable-to-lever-to-gear selector connection with part numbers?
3) The burning question - can I actually fit this part myself? It was a bugger to reach it. Taking the rear wheel off I can see more but not really access more. Is there a technique here? I really don't want to get a garage to do this as it will probably cost more to tow it there than the labour and parts (I live in a rural part of Spain, the nearest Porsche garage is 70 miles away!!).

Thanks all I really appreciate your help
sam1977 is offline   Reply With Quote