View Single Post
Old 04-16-2012, 11:49 AM   #10
sb01box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeper View Post
After the kind input from forum members I pulled the trigger on the $59 kit. The instructions were not all that great but having had pulled off my center console a number of times and knowing the shifter it was not a concern plus there are several DIY's on the net so they were helpful. Aside from a few minor hitches it went in just fine - total time about 2+ hours maybe.

Functionality - Wow! This thing is definitely a LOT shorter shifting. It all but eliminated the front-back play that was so prevalent in my MY2000 81K base model (play was pretty bad). side to side play was cut down by maybe 30% which is good... perhaps if I were to go with new shifter cables it would take care of this but honestly its not an issue for me. The moment I first used it was very strange... took a lot more effort but the motion was cut WAY down feeling almost like a shift gate. I am VERY pleased with it. With almost a hundred miles it was maybe the best money spent on the car yet. The shifts are MUCH more positive and much quicker.

I was about to go with the B&M but after hearing others say that they are truly all the same I would have to agree with them... they probably all come out of the very same place only to get either engraving or stickers put on them so they can justify the 250%+ mark-ups. I also took the advice of reversing the shifter lever itself and that was very helpful, thank you guys!

Hope this helps others. Any questions fire away.
I swapped out my 01 shifter for 997 shifter some 4 years ago. shorter shift, but "slop"?? Just examined the old shifter, I can't figure out where the "front to back" and "side to side " slop that members are talking about.
from pure geometry, the short shifter should have more slop.
sb01box is offline   Reply With Quote