View Single Post
Old 10-20-2005, 09:40 PM   #44
natecooper

There is no justifcation for buying a Porsche, it is not in any way a good financial move for anyone that is worried about the cost. I have spent WAY more than I thought I would on my used boxster (firgured it was "like new" since it only had 13k miles), and I would be much more "comfortable" if I hadn't bought it. That being said...

I love my Porsche.

Almost everyone on here does. It is a relationship, and a great one. It has a lot of ups and a lot of downs. There are many hidden costs. Here is a breakdown on what I have spent this year:

$500 - 15k Maintence
$1300 - Fixing electrical issues from car (2001 with 13k miles) sitting unused for 3 years
$1200 - New Tires (keep in mind you will need new tires every 15 to 25 thousand miles, and 25 thousand is really pushing it, CHEAP tires are 900 bucks)
$300 - Radar detector
$1200 - Various speeding tickets and lawyers fees for "fixing" tickets (god bless missouri, speeding tickets can be reduced to non-moving for a fee)
$250 - 30k Maintenence
$1500 - New Clutch (thanks original owner!)

I realize I have probably had more little things pop up than most other people. It averages out to about $500 a month extra for me this year. I hope that next year will be a bit more wallet friendly, however, if it's not I'm still gonna keep it because I love the car way too much. Point being? If you can't afford an extra 300 to 500 dollars a month in maintence, on top of your monthly payment, insurance and gas, then you should probably wait. If you can and are willing to, you will never second guess your purchase.

One last rant, the younger you are when you buy it, the younger you will be when it's paid off. My goal is to have it paid in full before I have any kids, then it's garage time and I get to have a great weekend car that's all paid off.
natecooper is offline   Reply With Quote