View Single Post
Old 04-11-2012, 05:00 AM   #11
harryrcb
Crazy Austrian

Garage
I just want to got into a little more detail on car #2. the flange seal was seeping, upon pulling the bearing cover, the bearing appeared to be OK, the center spun freely or so it seemed. It was not until I pulled the bearing out that I realized something is going on. There was a lot of residue build up inside the shaft(something not visible with bearing in place) the bearing itself had no oil or grease in it. Normally when you take a healthy bearing out, lay it on it's side, a lot of oil will drain out. This one had none, holding in my and and turning it revealed what felt like a mild ratcheting. another words the bearing was starting to break down. Did a thorough inspection of the filter, took an oil sample sent off to Blackstone (has not come back yet) there were no traces of anything in the filter. All of thes cars had the single row bearing.
My point being, just taking the bearing cover off is not a good enough inspection, you must take the bearing out. If I had made the call that the bearing was OK and put in just a new seal I would have had a law suit on my hands in 2 or 3 months for sure. Since you would have to take the bearing out for proper inspection then it only makes sense to go ahead and replace it and as of now it appears that LN Engineering bearing is the best solution.
I hope that answers all your questions
thank you for your support

Last edited by harryrcb; 04-11-2012 at 05:02 AM.
harryrcb is offline   Reply With Quote