View Single Post
Old 04-10-2012, 12:00 PM   #12
Overdrive
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kianfar View Post
Listening to the engine, I just felt like given the 6 gears, they should be changed frequently, and 2500-3000 RPM seemed ideal. It seems like a lot of RPM saying going from 1-2 and changing at 4Kish. Wondering if I'll get a chirp lol

The boxster is my daily driver, with a nice commute, although all highway. Like I was saying, I thought I was on the aggressive side at 3000 area, but I'm eager to test this 3500-4000 range. Fuel consumption is nice to have, given the gas prices and the high commute. What RPM do you start the car in from a stop to a roll? I haven't quit got that one.
It does seem like a lot of rpm, but you get used (addicted? ) to it. You're not likely to get a chirp unless you're dumping the clutch, and even then, you probably wouldn't get it until you're high, high up in the powerband. I don't think I can chirp 2nd unless I'm over 5k, but I'm also about 3/4 of a litre smaller displacement and short at least another 50 horses.

Fuel consumption will certainly go up with you cruising in the 3000+ range, but the car will like it better...and you didn't buy this thing for its Prius-rivaling fuel economy, right? Bear in mind, though, you'll probably be going close to 100mph (sry, my brain's not in a unit converting mode right now) at 4k in your top gear, so you can either choose to cruise at a lower speed in top gear (and therefore lower rpms), or keep yourself in 5th once you reach highway speed (likely to have you in the 3000+ range). But as far as getting to that point, try some higher-rev shift points once the car is warmed up. You'll find the car has some scoot, and you may even find that shifting just seems to come together much better when you're up there.

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote